Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Verdict

I decided to start writing more about this whole avalance wreck dilema for two reasons initially:
1) to let all those many great people who have offered their support and care know how things are progressing.
2) I've never been lets say,a proficient writer. But afer the suggestion from several friends i started throwing things down in print about this wreck to get things out of the system and keep a log for memory

this is by far my hardest post.
hopefully when i look back at this 5 years from now this will have been forgotten. I also feel that i need to keep all my good friends reading this to understand why the next time i see them and my right arm is unbeknowest to me accidently slammed in the car door...

Anyway, friday I managed to forge a snowstorm and a week of frustration in order for me to bridge the gap between me and the nerve conduction lab in Calgary.
3 hours of electrified needle probing and we had a verdict.
Truama induced traction injury to brachial plexus coming out of C5.
Prognosis
worst-never be able to use bicep and arm again accompanied with deabbilitating nerve pain lasting a life time
best - functional movement of arm and bicep but never be able to climb or do anything complex or major with my arm
Ouch
Naturally i'm coming to terms with this, the last 24 hours hasnt been easy. But, a good friend of mine suggested if your not lieing in the fetal position, immersed in a pool of several types of bodily fluids on the floor crying incoherently after finding out smething like this then your stronger than most. This I can say i havent reached.



This is whats all busted up,the brachial plexus in my neck. basically this got yanked a great deal after what i figure happened when I landed on my side after launching my first 60fter, on skis.
As you can see from the image i've been growing my hair and am missing a great deal of fuzz from the chest area.

To be honest the first thing i thought after been told this was, "is this one of those things doctors say to motivate patients to work and dedicate themselves to healing themselves? how many times have I heard of jimmy that guy who made a full recovery after his doctors told him that he would never walk again..."
anyway, time to start hammering the Physio, natropath medicinals, healthy nutrition...

No comments: